Re: setup question

1999-07-17 12:18:16
Pierre Fridez <pierre(_dot_)fridez(_at_)aiub(_dot_)unibe(_dot_)ch> writes:
I have installed procmail as a normal user. The binary is in a directory which
is accessible to our group. Several users of our group would like to use
procmail. So, every user has it's own .forward file (world readable) and
.procmailrc (only owner read/writable).

Somewhere in the documentation of the procmail distribution I have read, that a
normal user may set up procmail only for himself. Does this mean, that our
setup as described above is wrong, does not work? If so, what would the
consequences be, if we keep the setup as described?

Should work just fine.  Procmail doesn't care who compiled it or where
it is installed.

Let me briefly describe a problem that I am facing:
whenever I send a mail to two users, of which at least one is a procmail user
I get a message that delivery has failed, even though that person DOES get the
mail.:

What is the MTA on your mail server?  What do its logs show about these
mail messages?  For example, if it's sendmail, you should see a log entry
for each local user, e.g.:

Jul 17 12:57:24 solen.gac.edu sendmail[26607]: MAA26606:
to=<guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu>, delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:00,
mailer=local, stat=Sent

For users that invoke procmail from their .forward file, it should say
"mailer=prog" instead of "mailer=local".  The real question is what the
'stat' clause will say, and what the contents of other log messages for
that message are.

Philip Guenther