procmail only functioning when logged in?

1999-08-01 18:55:31
I've just switched ISPs and am seeing something odd
that I cannot figure out yet.

Took my old .procmailrc file, copied over the .forward,
and thought I was ready to go.

however what I have found is that procmail only functions
when I am logged in AND am in my mailer (in my case
I still use elm).

If I am not logged in, and not in the mailer, then no filtering
takes place.

Relevant info (I guess/hope)

-rwsr-sr-x   1 root     mail        58532 Apr  6 18:55 /usr/bin/procmail*

-rw-r--r--   1 zimmy    zimmy         805 Jul 30 10:47 .procmailrc

-rw-r--r--   1 zimmy    zimmy          59 Jul 23 14:23 .forward

which contains
"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #zimmy"

maybe the suid bit on world for procmail?

from my .procmailrc

PATH=/home/zimmy/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/local/bin:.
MAILDIR=/home/zimmy/Mail      # You'd better make sure it exists
DEFAULT=/var/spool/mail/zimmy
LOGFILE=/home/zimmy/Mail/from
LOCKFILE=/home/zimmy/.lockmail
VERBOSE=ON

:0
* ^Subject: *proctest*
proctest

So if I am logged in and have elm up, send myself mail from there
(or from elsewhere) it works.  Otherwise, procmail does not
execute, the "from" file is not updated, and no filtering happens.

thanks for any ideas,
Mike