Re: [procmail] Re: procmail -> Cygnus IMAP server ?

1999-08-07 12:27:10
Bruce S. Marshall replied:

<> On Sat, 7 Aug 1999 13:11:08 +0200, Constant Dupuis wrote:
<>
<> > But I would like to concentrate all my mail in an internet gateway
<> > This machine is connected to my ISP with a modem (PPP), I have a
<> > POP3 account there.
<> > I want to pick my messages from the POP3 server and inject them in
<> > the Cygnus IMAP4 server.

<> I'm doing everything you mention except for the IMAP part......   I use
<> FETCHMAIL to draw mail off the ISP into the Linux server  and then use
<> PROCMAIL to distribute it.  I use the procmail recipes to distribute my
<> mail to several 'pseudo-users' to divide it into groups.

I'm not familiar with a "Cygnus IMAP4 server" but perhaps I can
illustrate two others and shed some light ...

Univ of Washington's (Mark Crispin's) IMAP server at:

  (ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap.tar.gz)

uses the standard system mailboxes, so having recipes that deliver to
$DEFAULT for any user work just fine with that server.  The U-W imap
server can share the users' mailboxes with the corresponding U-W pop3
server.

The Cyrus IMAP server from CMU:

  ftp://ftp.andrew.cmu.edu/pub/cyrus-mail/cyrus-imapd-v1.5.19

uses a special program, which is part of the package, to spool messages
to a (configurable) mailbox.  THis program is, aptly enough, called
"deliver."  With this, it's easy enough to write a recipe for the global
procmailrc file that delivers mail:

  :0
  | <path/to/cyrus/binaries>/deliver $MATCH

(Please note, I've never used the exact recipe above; I use the U-W
server, except when testing an IMAP client against against the Cyrus
server and then it's not on my normal mail system!!)

Please let me know how you make out,

Reto L.
--
R A Lichtensteiger       rali(_at_)meitca(_dot_)com -or-
rali(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com