RE: Abuse mail

1999-08-20 14:31:47
I set up the .forward and .procmailrc but can't get it to work.  I told
her I would have this set up sometime today (she is also contacting the
police).  With time running out I am turning to the great wise ones.

Are you certain that procmail is actually running?  Are you telling procmail to
output VERBOSE to a LOGFILE?

You need to verify that first.

Here is what I need to do.

Catch all mail coming from offendingaddress(_at_)webtv(_dot_)net  # yes webtv

Next append the message to a abuselog.txt

You should be able to do that with
:0:
* ^(From:).*(dumbemail(_at_)webtv\(_dot_)net)
| FORMAILPATH >> dipuser.log

Next I want to reply to the offender with a text file that I have already
written.  But I'd like it to be address forom me.  When I got this part to
work.. it always was address form her.  This I did not want.  I want them
to take this seriously.

Call sendmail as "sendmail -t -i << inputfilename.txt"
where your inputfilename.txt has the correct from and
reply-to and to: fields.

As a side note, I have to ask why you want to get involved
beyond helping your customer document the letters?

Next delete the message all together, so that it does not reach it's
destination.

The message has been sent to the dipuser.log file.

Finally, allow the remaining email to pass through to /var/mail/$user as
normal.

Your last statement in the .procmailrc file should be

:0:
| FORMAILPATH >> normal_mail_spot

You know what happens without this.
Can anyone help me.  I get one part to work and then another doesn't. Or I
'fix' something and then nothing works.  I'm stuck

I have looked through other procmailrc's that I am currently using and
attempted to combine them, also checked out the archives.  But everything
I combine the stuff.. it dies and doesn't work.

Turn on the logging, procmail does a wonderful job of telling you exactly why
it isn't doing what you want.