Dual Server Config Question!

1999-08-24 16:51:18
Hello All!

I just posted this to the procmail-dev list and got told that I should
post to this list.  Can someone tell me how I subscribe to this list and
also help me with a problem.

The problem is as follows:

I have a few questions!  I have a dual server system (primary and
secondary) both running Redhat Linux 6.0, Apache 1.3.6, sendmail 8.9.3,
and procmail 3.13.1

The original intent was to have secondary as a mirror to primary, but
this has not worked out too well, so we are not doing this.  Currently,
the primary server handles all my Web traffic (I am an ISP with 104
dial-in lines serviced by two Portmaster3), my mail traffic, and radius
authentication.  What I would like to do is off-load some of the traffic
on the primary server by moving my mail system over to the secondary
server.

What I do not want to do is maintain a copy of all my authenication
control files (i.e., passwd, shadow, group, etc.) on the secondary and I
do not want to replicate and maintain my $HOME directories on the
secondary.  I do not and will not use NFS on my system!

However, I do want to maintain my mail spool files (/var/spool/mail/...)
on the secondary.

I have sendmail and procmail running fine on the secondary.  I have
setup a test user on the secondary and can send and receive mail to/from
this account.  I have the name server on the secondary working as a
slave (not a cacheing DNS) to the primary.  I have the POP3 daemon
operational and can pop the secondary mail server, no problems.

Now, is there a way to have procmail running on the secondary and
processing mail with the mail spools there, but accessing the
authentication control files and $HOME directories on the primary
server?

I hope that I have described my situation well.  Does this make sense
and seem reasonable?  Any help on this problem will be greatly
appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Murrah Boswell
Systems Administrator
Wild Apache Internet Services
(A 100% Yavapai-Apache Indian Owned ISP)
support(_at_)wildapache(_dot_)net
http://www.wildapache.net