deja-mail.rc (version 1.0)

1999-09-09 22:02:37

I think this may be my most complex INCLUDERC file.  (That will stun some
folks as it is relatively simple).  However, it also seems to work really
really well. (especially because the version on my system has a perl script
called which Bart Schaefer <schaefer(_at_)zanshin(_dot_)com> wrote for me
(THANKS!)

[The perl script call is not included in this version since
        it is only necessary for me because my
        stupid WinNT mailserver breaks headers at 255 characters]

Anyway, here's the RC file.

Oh yeah, I should answer the "What does it do?" question.

I get Usenet posts via email thanks to DejaNews.com's 'my dejanews' service.

This is great except for a few things:
        need a subject-based killfile
        need a sender-based killfile
        need to trim ad at the top of each message
        need to trim footer at the bottom of each message

This gives me my own archive of my favorite newsgroups right on my own HD.
It also lets me use my mailreader as a newsreader (which works well for me
since I already know & like its GUI ;-)

It allows me to read & post mail offline (messages are downloaded while
online, I can read them and then reply, and then bring the connection up).  I
don't have to worry about keeping up with threads because I can always get
to them later.

All in all it is a neat service, much better than the previous solutions.

I was going to include it, but thought it might be a tad long

So it can be received here

http://www.peak.org/~luomat/articles/procmail/rcfiles/deja-mail.rc

TjL