Re: lockfile and qmail

1999-09-11 16:52:19
On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Philip Guenther wrote:

Karthik <n6026002(_at_)cc(_dot_)iitb(_dot_)ernet(_dot_)in> writes:
If I use lockfile to lock my system mailbox (which is $HOME/Mailbox) then
will qmail take note of it and queue up deliveries?

Have you checked the qmail docs?

Yes i have.  It says that qmail uses flock() to lock files when writing to
them.  I don't really know what that means which is why I posted.

Okay, then after you create the lockfile (to prevent contention of the
script with itself) do a "chmod +t $HOME", and then a "chmod -t $HOME"
right before you remove the lockfile.

That is what I am doing right now but with my fingers crossed.  The
problem is that I use qmail, procmail and mutt (which is my usual mail
agent) and I don't know how each one of them handles locking.

Any tips will be appreciated.
Karthik.

(Please mail me back as I do not subscribe to this list)