Re: lockfile and qmail

1999-09-15 01:57:49
On 15 September 1999, Philip Guenther <guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu> wrote:
Karthik <n6026002(_at_)cc(_dot_)iitb(_dot_)ernet(_dot_)in> writes:
On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Philip Guenther wrote:

Karthik <n6026002(_at_)cc(_dot_)iitb(_dot_)ernet(_dot_)in> writes:
If I use lockfile to lock my system mailbox (which is
$HOME/Mailbox) then will qmail take note of it and queue up
deliveries?

Have you checked the qmail docs?

Yes i have.  It says that qmail uses flock() to lock files when
writing to them.  I don't really know what that means which is why I
posted.
[...]

    Please note that this only apply to mbox emulation in QMail
(whatever it's called), not to Maildir mailboxes (which is the default
mailbox format with QMail).  Maildir mailboxes _don't_ need any kind of
locking.

That is what I am doing right now but with my fingers crossed.  The
problem is that I use qmail, procmail and mutt (which is my usual
mail agent) and I don't know how each one of them handles locking.

You'll need to find out how mutt does locking.
[...]

    This can be configured at compile time.  Use "mutt -v" to find out
the compiled-in methods.  Independently of this however, Mutt will never
lock a Maildir folder.

    Regards,

    Liviu Daia

--
Dr. Liviu Daia               e-mail:   Liviu(_dot_)Daia(_at_)imar(_dot_)ro
Institute of Mathematics     web page: http://www.imar.ro/~daia