Re: Failure in formail

1999-09-12 19:11:50
At 07:32 -0700 9/12/99, ron(_at_)usao(_dot_)com wrote:
Hope this is not a stupid question. I have procmail version:

procmail v3.10 1994/10/31

You should probably upgrade. :-)

I have the following rule:

:0 Wh: .msgid.lock
| formail -D 8192 .msgid.cache

which is generating the following:

procmail: [7247] Sun Sep 12 06:39:09 1999
procmail: Locking ".msgid.lock"
procmail: Executing "formail,-D,8192,.msgid.cache"
procmail: Program failure (1) of "formail"

Seems to be some failure in formail, however, the .msgid.cache is being
populated, and I can view the contents. Is there a problem here or should
I not be worried about this?

This is the recipe that checks for duplicate message-IDs in the procmailex documentation, right? This recipe should only succeed if you're getting duplicate messages with the same message-id. You could test this if you have something like a Bigfoot account that auto-forwards to your main mail account; send a message to both your forwarded and main addresses and see if one gets filtered. (You could also pipe a message back through Sendmail to see what hits if you're a shell-access type.)

The main use the documentation suggests for this is if you're on multiple mailing lists that have crossposted content. I use it at work because sometimes I get cc'd on messages that are also sent to an alias that goes to my whole group.

Regards,

Scott