Re: Is bad From_ line an error by procmail, sendmail, or neither?

1999-09-28 13:53:25
Rik Kabel <rik(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com> writes:
I received an ugly spam in my junk folder which caused elm to fall
over thinking the folder was corrupted. (Pine reads it fine, btw.) The
problem is that the sender name in the From_ line has a leading, but
no trailing, double quote. At least I assume that that is the problem,
since adding a second double quote fixes the problem. I suspect that the
problem is with Netcom/Mindspring/Earthlink's sendmail, but want to be
sure that it isn't procmail.

"|TZ=EST5EDT; export TZ && exec /usr/local/nuglops/bin/procmail -tf- MODE=prod
 || exit 75"

My .forward file, shown above, directs procmail to rewrite the date
stamp on the from line, and should not be changing the sender name, as I
read the following:
The question is, might procmail rewrite the whole From_ line given the
above invocation and the message quoted below? Another possibility is
that the process which does the MIME Autoconversion caused the problem.
Comments? Answers?

Procmail locates the timestamp by doing the equivalent of scanning
from the right for the the two colons in the time, then jumping left 12
characters and looking for a space or tab followed by a non-whitespace
character.  That would seen to indicate that the From_ line generated
by sendmail had either a badly formated timestamp or a bogus address.

I would test it by pulling the -f- flag from your .forward file then
sending yourself a similar message.

Philip Guenther