Re: Insufficient Permission on SmartList

1999-09-28 18:02:23

[In the future, you should probably post SmartList questions to the
SmartList-users(_at_)procmail(_dot_)org mailing list instead of the
procmail-users
list.]

Aris Mulyono <amulyon(_at_)ipass(_dot_)net> writes:
I got the following message when trying to setup mailing list:

flist: Insufficient privileges to become "listserv"
550 "|exec /var/spool/listserv/.bin/flist ngaji"... Insufficient permission

I thought sendmail daemon runs as root and thus has enough permission.

Sendmail may be running as root, but it doesn't run programs invoked
from the alias file(s) as root.  flist itself needs to be user setuid
to the SmartList user ("listserv" apparently in your case) _and_ setgid
to that user's default group.  (You can also make it setuid root, but
that violates the Principle of Least Privilege).  For example, at my
site:

lunen% groups slist
slist
lunen% ls -l ~slist/.bin/flist
-rwsr-sr-x   5 slist    slist      39640 Mar 31  1999
/Net/solen/home/spec/slist/.bin/flist

Philip Guenther