Re: question re filtering duplicate messages

1999-09-30 05:02:28
 * You wrote:
 * Does the msgid.cache file have any contents?  If I recall, the
 * program failure of formail here indicates that the message is
 * not a duplicate, and that formail was not a final disposition
 * for it.

Hi Adam.

Thanks for responding.

There was nothing [0 bytes] in the msgid.cache file and the
formail failure message resulted each time duplicate messages
("CC"s) were sent from another address as a test. IOW, I consistently
received TWO messages with the SAME message ID, and this ID did
not appear in the msgid.cache file.

John

I've been trying to filter out duplicates using the recipe in
the procmailex man page:

          :0 Wh: msgid.lock
          | formail -D 8192 msgid.cache

but it seems that formail can't write the msgid.cache file. It
creates the file, but it never seems to put anything in it. It's
not a permissions problem, since I changed the mode to 0666.
Here's an excerpt from the log:

   ...[deletia]...

  Folder: /usr/spool/mail/teo                    589
procmail: Notified comsat: "teo(_at_)0:/usr/spool/mail/teo"
procmail: Assigning "INCLUDERC=/john/.procmail/rc.xxxxxx"
procmail: Locking "msgid.lock"
procmail: Executing "/usr/bin/formail,-D,8192,msgid.cache"
procmail: Program failure (1) of "/usr/bin/formail"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/usr/bin/formail -D 8192 msgid.cache"
procmail: Unlocking "msgid.lock"
procmail: No match on "^From:(_dot_)*teo(_at_)ssr(_dot_)com"

   ...[deletia]...

If anyonne can advise me, I'd appreciate it. To round out the
picture, here's my setup:

NeXT OS Version 3.3
procmail version 3.10

I'm using qmail, but have Popover running to get mail from my
ISP's pop server. I hope this is enough to diagnose my problem.

Thanks in advance,
John