Re: sendmail not reading .forward file

1999-10-07 21:27:49
Fred Terry wrote:
[snip Philip Guenther's message]

Bingo! (as they say here in the States) Changing the permissions
on /export in the /export/home/pfterry hierarchy solved the problem.
Why would Sun do this? That change allowed sendmail to do its work
and generated complaints from my .forward file that the shell
wasn't vaild. A quick trip to /etc with "which tcsh csh sh bash > shells"
solved that problem. Now I'm gleefully filtering spam into the
bit bucket.

Would it be OK (from a security point of view) to have a .procmailrc (or
a .forward) in a group-writable directory as long as the sticky bit is
set on that directory?

This would not be good thing for a default build of procmail to have (as
the sticky bit may not work on some file systems accessed from some
systems), but maybe BuGLess would consider including it as an option...

Alastair Irvine     Room 314.138, Australian Telecommunications .-_|\
System Administrator              Research Institute  (ATRI)   /     \
telephone:  +61 8 9266 3509       Curtin Uni of Technology     P_.-._/
e-mail: alastair(_at_)atri(_dot_)curtin(_dot_)edu(_dot_)au       Bentley WA,
6102.         o