Message-ID syntax

1999-10-18 02:49:19
Hi,

Similar discussions has been before on the list, but there's still one
thing i don't understand. I have now in my rc the following things
(copied from previous postings to this list):

  dq = '"'
  bw = "\\"
  ws         = "[         ]*"
  atom       = "[-!#-'*+/-9=?A-Z^-~]+"
  word       = "($atom|$dq([^$dq\]|$bw.)*$dq)"
  local_part = "$word($ws\.$ws$word)*"
  domain     = "(\[$ws([^][\]|$bw.)*$ws\]|$atom($ws\.$ws$atom)*)"

And:

  :0
  *$ ! ^Message-Id:$ws<$ws$local_part$ws@@$ws$domain$ws>
  {
          nl
          nl      = ${notice+"$NL"}
          notice  = "$notice${nl}X-NOTE: Did not have a RFC compliant
Message-ID field."
  }

When using these, i get pretty much emails which are matched in this
recipe, so that means there are a lot of invalid Message-Id's used, or
there's something wrong in my recipe. I tried to look things up and
match it with RFC822, but one thing i cannot find there are these
whitespaces. IMHO, but maybe i'm overlooking a thing, whitespaces are
not allowed in a Message-Id. But, if i understand the above correctly,
this check allows. Where am i going wrong?

        -Rejo.

--
= Rejo Zenger  [Sister Ray Crisiscentrum]
rejo(_at_)sisterray(_dot_)xs4all(_dot_)nl