Re: doubled folders

1999-10-18 07:12:57
When I said to Alex,

| > (and you're not really using ^TO_ right if you put .*[ <]
| > after it, but that's another story).

he asked,

| Hmm. Why?

Philip has answered that already: the expansions of ^TO_ and ^TO already end
in something better than .*[ <], and you're making procmail do extra work to
get less function.

| Indeed, I have a Delivered-To: header.

That may work for now, but for the long term, I'd recommend finding another
header to identify which list processed that copy of a post.  The copy you
get is delivered to *you*, and some day your local site may install a mail
transport that puts "Delivered-To: alex(_at_)cichlids(_dot_)com" onto
everything you
receive and might also delete any Delivered-To: headers already on it.  Then

| > Finally, are those plain folders?  Then you should use a second colon to
| > get a local lockfile.

| They're mbox style folders. Can you point me to the right direction,
| how to do this?-

See the procmailrc(5) man page.  You request a local lockfile when a recipe
delivers by putting a second colon on the colon line, to the right of any
numbers or flag letters.  If the action line is a folder name to save to,
or if it is a pipe that uses the ">>" redirector to append to a file,
procmail will add $LOCKEXT (usually ".lock") to the name of the folder or the
file to get a name for the local lockfile; if the action needs a local
lockfile but procmail cannot infer one, or if you want it to use a different
name from the one it would infer, you can specify a name for the local
lockfile by putting it on the colon line to the right of the second colon.