Re: How to filter this kind of message?

1999-10-22 14:45:14
Dominic Mitchell <dominic(_at_)cedep(_dot_)net> writes:
I have been receiving messages ( see below ) where the body is
just full of strings with a combination of '=' capital letters
and numbers.  I would like to filter out but I am not sure how to
do it.  Any help is very appreciated.

This is what I have in the body of the messages:

C7=D7=B0=AE=B5=C4=C5=F3=D3=D1=A3=BA

=C4=FA=CF=EB=D3=B5=D3=D0=D7=D4=BC=BA=B5=C4=B9=FA=BC=CA=B6=A5=BC=B6=D3=F2=
=C3=FB=C2=F0=A3=BF

Looks like the message was sent with a MIME content transfer encoding of
quoted printable.  The message probably has a Content-Transfer-Encoding:
header of "quoted-printable".  Check out RFC2045.  There are several
programs that decode this including the original mimencode program,
munpack, and others.

Note that the above text, when decoded, is effectively binary: all the
above characters have the high-bit set.  It looks alot like some spam
I've seen coming through recently, so unless you know the person sending
the above, I would just through it out.  Harumph, it should have been
encoded in base64 anyway...

Philip Guenther