Re: Effects of system changeover on procmailrc?

1999-10-22 14:39:17
David Stone <dstone(_at_)chem(_dot_)utoronto(_dot_)ca> writes:
The server I get my mail through is being changed over in the near future
from an HP-UX box to a Dell box running RedHat Linux 6.1.

As far as existing procmail recipes/setup is concerned, what things will
I need to watch out for following this change?

If you have any hardcoded paths to binaries (formail, cat, sed, etc)
then you should fix them to *not* be absolute path.  The PATH variable
is there for a reason and this is one of them.  If PATH is correctly,
then you should almost never need an absolute path for binaries.  If PATH
is being set at the top of the rcfiles then you should _probably_ make
sure it only adds paths to the default built-in to the procmail binary.
You can see what that value is by running the command:

    procmail DEFAULT=/dev/null LOG='$PATH' /dev/null </dev/null; echo ''

If you have to reset it from scratch or add many directories then you
should probably fix the compiled-in value.

Hardcoded paths to binaries is probably the single most common portability
problem in rcfiles.  Use of non-portable programs or flags to programs
is probably the second.

Philip Guenther