Re: Reprocessing Mail files.

1999-11-02 13:26:54
Jon Miner <miner(_at_)doit(_dot_)wisc(_dot_)edu> writes:
* Grant Robinson (santiago(_at_)kermit(_dot_)mr-r(_dot_)net) [991101 16:30]:
My main inbox on one of my mail accounts has about 1900 messages in it,
mostly consisting of mailing lists.  I like to have my own personal archive,
and I want to somehow reprocess it to split it out into a separate folder
for each mailing list.  I did this by using fetchmail/procmail onto a
different machine, but then the date and time stamps were all messed up.
Part of it being an archive is the ability to tell when I recieved the
message.  I looked in the docs and couldn't see a real good explanation of
how this could be accomplished.  Could someone point me in the direction
(either with instructions or where I can go to find help/instructions) on
how to accomplish this, or if I should consider another alternative besides
procmail, that would be helpful info also.  Thanks in advance for your help.

if you dan't recieve mail quite constandly, if you do, search for the
word newmail in the procmail(1) man page.

(assuming $MAIL points to your inbox)

% cat $MAIL > newmail && cat /dev/null > $MAIL
% formail -s procmail < newmail

This will process all the mail in newmail through whatever filters you
have in procmail.

...unless you're unlucky enough to receive e-mail while the above is
taking place.  The script on the procmail(1) manpage that was cited is
more complicated, but it also avoid the loss of mail on a running system.

Philip Guenther