root-owned lockfiles bogus?

1999-11-02 14:04:22
I sent this to procmail-users(_at_)procmail(_dot_)org five days ago but
haven't seen the message come through, so I'm resending this to
procmail(_at_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de(_dot_)  Apologies if it
becomes a duplicate
at some point.

I had to hand-edit a user's mailbox to fix some corrupted message
separators:

   (as root)
   cd /var/mail
   lockfile xx.lock
   vi xx

When I quit, xx.lock was gone and this was in the syslog file:

   Oct 28 15:05:06 mx1.ncsa.uiuc.edu procmail[2656]: Renamed bogus "/var/mail/xx
.lock" into "/var/mail/BOGUS._Ad"

I understand that it did this because the lockfile wasn't owned by user 'xx',
but shouldn't it leave the lockfile if it's owned by user root?  Presumably
root knows what he/she is doing, and clobbering a lockfile created by them
doesn't seem like the right thing to do.  I don't know if I lost a message
or not now...

I'm using 3.11pre7 on these systems, but the HISTORY file for 3.13.1
doesn't mention any changes along these lines.  misc.c also looks like
it still has the same problems...  OS is Solaris 2.5.1.

Is there a good reason to remove lockfiles owned by root?  And if there
is, what about a flag to lockfile that changes ownership of the lockfile i
(i.e.

   lockfile -u xx xx.lock

where xx is the username).

Thanks for any input/insight,