ackmail.rc not acking correctly?

1999-11-30 19:03:05

So I'm trying to ack messages sent to our abuse desk (but only some of them, see below) with an autoresponder. I found Alan Stebbens' ackfile at http://members.xoom.com/procmail/aks-lib/ackmail.rc and attempted to set it up:

Here's the beginning of my .procmailrc:

SHELL=/bin/sh
LINEBUF=4096
PATH=$HOME:$HOME/bin:$HOME/Mail:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
VERBOSE=on

# Default Program & file locations

MAILDIR=$HOME
DEFAULT=$HOME/abuse
BACKUP=$HOME/Mail_Backup
ADMINFOLDER=$DEFAULT
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/log
SENDMAIL=/usr/lib/sendmail
DUPFILE=$BACKUP/dups
CACHEFILE=$BACKUP/.cache
CACHESIZE=5000
GARBAGE=/dev/null
MY_ADDR=abuse(_at_)rr\(_dot_)com
FROMSIG=abuse(_at_)rr\(_dot_)com
ACKMSG=$HOME/rr_ackmsg

INCLUDERC=ackmail.rc

Now, as I said above, I only want to ack *some* messages based upon who they are sent to. For example, if the message is sent to (any address)@mediaone.net, I don't want the message to be acked at all. If the message is sent to (any address)@rr.com or (any address)@(any region).rr.com, then I want the ack to go out.

I guess I'm having issues with setting up the variables MY_NAMES and NOACKS, or whether I should be using the NOACKFILE variable. I'm also confused about the following:

# MUA           - define as one of the keywords below to tell the
#                 recipe on how to calculate the unread mail:
#  MUA=default  - your unread mail sits in $DEFAULT (you don't filter
#                 mail into folders)
#  MUA=mh       - your mail is filtered into the MH +inbox; tries to
#                 use any Unseen-Sequence, or calculates it from the
#                 output of "folders +inbox".
#  MUA=XXXXX    - causes a recipe named "unread-XXXXX.rc" to be
#                 invoked (if it exists) to calculate the number
#                 of unread messages and returned in $UNREAD.

I have no clue what this means. It appears that none of the options falls into what I do. I don't use $DEFAULT for everything, since I filter into multiple mailboxes, I don't use another RC, and I honestly don't know what MUA=mh means.

Lastly, even if I do get it set up, I keep getting errors in the log file that indicate that procmail can't find 'cat' or 'fgrep'. I think that may be something with my path statement in my .procmailrc, but I'm lost there as well.

Any help would be appreciated.
Mark

   W. Mark Herrick, Jr. <markh(_at_)va(_dot_)rr(_dot_)com>          _.._
_.._
       Senior Security Administrator             ,','"_:./\/\,'_ `.`.
       Team Lead - Usenet Operations            /_:--:_ ( oo ) _:--:_\
    Road Runner Security - 703.345.2477        /'      `'`vv'`'      `\
<abuse(_at_)rr(_dot_)com><security(_at_)rr(_dot_)com><fraud(_at_)rr(_dot_)com>