Is it possible to do something like this in Procmail

1999-12-06 15:07:31
Hello all,

I'd like to find a way to solve a little admin problem I have.  We're moving
away from NT (!!!) and NT's mail server options to something more reliable.
However, users all complain that NT allows them, through a web page, to:

- Change mail forwarding
- Change the autoresponder message

All of these users have never touched a shell account in their lives, so I
can create a general .procmailrc file for these users and they'll never
touch it.

Using postgres, I'd like to create a simple table:

create table usermailprefs (
      username char(32),
      autoresponder_on int,
      autoresponder_message varchar,
      forward_on int,
      forward_to_list varchar
);

Assuming I write a couple of programs below:

getautoresponder - Given a user name, return the autoresponder text
or --NONE--
getforwardlist -- Given a user name, return the address list or --NONE--

I'd like to tell procmail

For every message received, using getautoresponder, if you don't
get --NONE-- returned, send the text back to the sender.
Next, using getforwardlist, send the message to the list of addresses, or
if --NONE-- is returned, simply drop the message in the local mailbox.

These seem possible.  How sane am I (at least in this instance)?

John Antypas
ja(_at_)soft21(_dot_)s21(_dot_)com