Re: global filtering

1999-12-08 09:26:29
On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, David Collantes wrote:

On 07/12/99 at 2:44pm, Michael Meltzer wrote:

OM# is it possible to setup global filtering without running procmail
OM# as mta ?

I think yes because you have to run procmail as MDA (Mail Delivery Agent).
This is being called from /etc/sendmail.cf or from $HOME/.forward .

OM# I want prevent the users beeing attacked by virus and things like that.

Install some filters into global procmailrc file in /etc/procmailrc file.

To quote from manpage:

  If  no  rcfiles and no -p have been specified on the command line, procmail
  will,  prior  to  reading  $HOME/.procmailrc,   interpret   commands from
  /etc/procmailrc  (if present).  Care must be taken when creating /etc/proc-
  mailrc, because, if circumstances permit, it will  be  executed  with root
  privileges (contrary to the $HOME/.procmailrc file of course).

From Era's links page you can I gues jump to it's modules - you can kill
Macro-viruses, you can kill HTML attachment and I think you can filter out
other types of attachments.

Have a look at:
ftp://ftp.rubyriver.com/pub/jhardin/antispam/procmail-security.html

Hope this helps
--
Martin Mokrejs - PGP 5.0i key at: finger://mail.natur.cuni.cz/mmokrejs
<mmokrejs(_at_)natur(_dot_)cuni(_dot_)cz> Faculty of Science, The Charles