Re: lockfile on INCLUDERC to throttle?

1999-12-12 07:42:34
On Sat, 11 Dec 1999 13:28:54 -0800, PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org
(Professional Software Engineering) wrote:
In a previous episode, David W. Tamkin said, and I quote:
You could assign LOCKFILE at the beginning of the INCLUDERC file
and unset it at the end of the INCLUDERC file instead of doing
those things in your .procmailrc. That would be one way. It is
then possible that several concurrent procmails might have the
INCLUDERC file open for reading, but only one could be actually
processing its recipes at any given time.
Could you explain why that would be any different than wrapping the
recipe with the explicit LOCKFILE directive as I was doing? Seems
to me that once the LOCKFILE is encountered, the processing should
hold there until the lock clears - as long as it encompases the
critical section, what would the difference be?

You don't have to remember the additional decorations if you decide
you want to INCLUDERC= the same file multiple times?

/* era */

--
 Too much to say to fit into this .signature anyway: <http://www.iki.fi/era/>
  Fight spam in Europe: <http://www.euro.cauce.org/> * Sign the EU petition