Re: e-mail

1999-12-15 16:20:45

My ISP holds mail for my domain (moginet.org.uk) and I collect it via a
POP (3?) connection.

Probably, if you connect to port 110.
I wouldn't know.. Remember, I have only just started playing with internet
e-mail.
I make a PPP connection (usually by typing ifup ppp3) and once my modem
has stopped squeaking and the carrier-detect light comes on I type
sendmail -q followed by fetchmail. (I have a .fetchmailrc file in my home
directory that reads as follows..)
poll mail.MYISP.co.uk proto POP3 user ME password "MYPASSWORD"
smtphost thomson.moginet.org.uk keep

thomson.moginet.org.uk is the cpu that I use as the mail-server and PPP
connection.
I use IP-MASQUERADING in order to allow the other cpu connection to the
internet for web-browsing as it does not have the modem, but it does have
the graphics card.

When my mail arrives in my machine it all sits in my mailbox even though
some of it may be for my wife or another member of Moginet.

If the To: line contained <paul(_at_)moginet(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk> - then why
do you think it
shouldn't?
No. The To: line contains lonnie(_at_)moginet(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk
It still ends up in paul's mailbox, though.

If I send mail (still on the server) to my wife's account on the server,
it does not arrive until I do an external mail run.

To which address do you send it? - <my-wife(_at_)localhost> or
<my-wife(_at_)moginet(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk> ?
lonnie(_at_)moginet(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk
I must admit, I have not tried lonnie(_at_)localhost

Is it going out to my ISP then being picked back up ?
To which address do you send it?
As above.

If I do sendmail -q without being online, the mail is NOT sent to my
wife.

probably you want to start sendmail as:

sendmail -bd -q10m
Mmm. Where do I enter this.
I use linux (RedHat 6.0) and I gather that I enter this command somewhere
in the rc.d setup, yes ?

Any mail I send from any account to any other account (locally) will be
delivered immediately. Any mail that is to be queued for external delivery
will wait until connection is made.

Of course will wait in the queue. "man mailq(1)".
Yup.. Outgoing mail waits. As does local mail.
The local mail arrives in my wife's box once I have done an external
mailrun, IE I have dialled my ISP and performed the sendmail -q and
fetchmail series...

Install for these machines MX records pointing to your home server.
I wouldn't know what an MX record is if it jumped up and bit me.
I wouldn't know where to enter one or what format it takes.

If your home server is not reachable your ISP keeps messages in it's own
queue.
It does. The fetchmail command I type causes it to stream the messages
down the modem. So /that/ works..

Probably you missed in last days my pointings to
http://www.natur.cuni.cz/~mmokrejs/sendmail
Your right.. I did.
I have been bouncing mail left right and centre recently as I have been
trying to get my mail working. (Hence the 'keep' entry in the .fetchmailrc
file)

Thanks a lot..

Paul..
The RoadRunner