Re: e-mail

1999-12-15 11:44:17
On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Paul Hinault wrote:

My ISP holds mail for my domain (moginet.org.uk) and I collect it via a
POP (3?) connection.

Probably, if you connect to port 110.

I use SMTP to send my mail back (I think) which I initiate manually with
sendmail -q

When my mail arrives in my machine it all sits in my mailbox even though
some of it may be for my wife or another member of Moginet.

If the To: line contained <paul(_at_)moginet(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk> - then why do
you think it
shouldn't?

If I send mail (still on the server) to my wife's account on the server,
it does not arrive until I do an external mail run.

To which address do you send it? - <my-wife(_at_)localhost> or
<my-wife(_at_)moginet(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk> ?

Is it going out to my ISP then being picked back up ?

To which address do you send it?

If I do sendmail -q without being online, the mail is NOT sent to my
wife.

probably you want to start sendmail as:

sendmail -bd -q10m

The situation that I would like to attain is as follows..

Any mail I send from any account to any other account (locally) will be
delivered immediately. Any mail that is to be queued for external delivery
will wait until connection is made.

Of course will wait in the queue. "man mailq(1)".

Any incoming mail that is not for me is to be posted on to the appropriate
account locally.
I don't mind having to read and write all the mail from the server as my
workstation makes a telnet connection to the server anyway.

On client mchines insert into /etc/sednmail.cf line:

DSmyserver.myhomedomain.com

  This is called SmartHost. All emails going out from your client machines
will be sent to your server and your server will send them - once - to the
world. See Documentation at http://www.sendmail.org .

If I could also post mail around the various machines on the network, that
would be an advantage, but it is not strictly essential.

Install on those client machines sendmail running as a daemon -
(sendmail -bd -q10m)

Install for these machines MX records pointing to your home server.
If your home server is not reachable your ISP keeps messages in it's own
queue.

Probably you missed in last days my pointings to
http://www.natur.cuni.cz/~mmokrejs/sendmail

Hope this helps.
--
Martin Mokrejs - PGP 5.0i key at: finger://mail.natur.cuni.cz/mmokrejs
<mmokrejs(_at_)natur(_dot_)cuni(_dot_)cz> Faculty of Science, The Charles