Re: rc compatibility?

1999-12-17 10:49:16
Erik Dufek <dufeke(_at_)iscmed(_dot_)med(_dot_)ge(_dot_)com> writes:
Due to year end activities, we decided not to wait for the next
version.  In January we'll look at the newer version.  For now version
3.14 answers the concern of proper operation at the century date change.

Um, version 3.14 doesn't contain any date related fixes.  All versions
of procmail are equally "Y2K compliant".

I do have a followup question.  Multiple permission changes to the rcfile
didn't seem to have an effect.  I tried 755, 600, 777; but when I changed
the home directory to 755 that did the trick.  With the home directory at
755, the permissions of the rcfile didn't matter; it worked whether the
rcfile was group writeable or not.  We're running Solaris 2.6 and we call

Hmm, how exactly are you invoking procmail?  Procmail only checks group
permissions when no rcfile was specified on the command line, causing it
to use the default rcfile.

procmail via a .forward file.  The default home directory permissions here
are 775, although changing it to 755 doesn't appear to cause any ill
effects.  Why the paranoia for the group write permissions?

For the same reason that sendmail checks the permissions of .forward
files and rlogind checks the permissions of .rhosts file: because users
sometimes screw up, and the systems should protect them from getting too
badly burned.  This particularly true of any file that, like a .forward,
.rhosts, and .procmailrc file, is accessed whether or not the user knows
about it.

Philip Guenther