Re: "Skipped $DEFAULT" in log

1999-12-21 23:39:32
Steve Youngs <youngs_s(_at_)ozlinx(_dot_)com(_dot_)au> writes:
I've been keeping a log of what procmail is doing and I've noticed
something a little strange...

-------------------------------------
procmail: Skipped "$DEFAULT"
From steve  Sun Dec 19 02:25:02 1999
Subject: Mail Stats for the day
 Folder: /home/steve/mail/private                                         948
-------------------------------------

Now it only happens when I send mail to myself.  I'm not losing any
mail so it's not a huge concern.  I was just wondering what procmail
is trying to tell me here.

Relevant parts of ~/.procmailrc:
------------------------------------
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail
DEFAULT=${MAILDIR}/INBOX

:0
* ^To:.*steve
${MAILDIR}/private

### (this is at the end of ~/.procmailrc so if a mail can't be matched
### anywhere it goes into the INBOX)
:0
* .
$DEFAULT

That last recipe is completely superfluous because that *is* the default
action: if procmail has not invoked as delivering recipe before it reaches
the end of the .procmailrc, it will attempt deliver to $DEFAULT, and if
that fails, it will attempt delivery to $ORGMAIL.  Also, the condition
on the recipe is unneed.  If you want to perform an action unconditionally,
just don't put any condition lines in.  Zero is a number!

So, since the snippet of rcfile you quoted looks fine, procmail is
complaining about something that is not included in the quoted text.
If you paraphrased your .procmailrc at all, the problem may be in what
you paraphrased.  Did you leave out any blank lines?  Depending on
the version procmail you have, that may be your problem.  In general, I
suggest that if you have a problem with your rcfile that you can't figure
out, don't cut-and-paste your rcfile in your message, but rather read it
into your mail reader or include it as an attachment.  Otherwise you may
excluded the source of the problem from what we on the mailing list see.

Anyway, my recommendation is to delete that last recipe and let
procmail's implicit delivery do its work.  If the warning message still
comes up, search your rcfile for every occurance of "$DEFAULT" and
make sure you have them right.  Failing that, as the list again,
including you *entire* rcfile as an attachment.

If a mail that I send myself gets matched to go into ~/mail/private
why does it seem that procmail is continuing down ~/.procmailrc and
telling me that it is skipping $DEFAULT?  And why does it only happen
when I send mail to myself?

Is mail that you send to yourself delivered on your local machine,
while mail that other people send to your is delivered on some central
machine running a different version of procmail?

Philip Guenther