Re: how to not process emails over 1mb (ie attachment)

1999-12-23 03:10:52
Jerry Preeper <preeper(_at_)cts(_dot_)com> writes:
Is there any way to completely ignore an email over a certain size from
being processed by procmail... Basically I have some people that get
attachments in the 5 to 10 MB range (and higher).  Whenever they come in,
they seem to put a fair bit of a load on the machine and I would rather to
have procmail just ignore the message if it's over a certain size before it
does any processing to avoid this load... Any ideas?

If you're running a BSD based OS (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, BSDI, etc) you should
upgrade to procmail version 3.13.1 or later.  Earlier versions interact
poorly with the particular realloc() implementation of the BSD line.

That said, there's no way to tell procmail to not process messages over
a given size before it actually read it in.  Procmail does't know how
big the message is until it reads it in.  Such size limiting would have
to take place in the MTA (sendmail, qmail, etc.)

Philip Guenther