Re: procmail not running for user ID root

2000-01-13 20:27:41
Jon Miner <miner(_at_)doit(_dot_)wisc(_dot_)edu> writes:
* Brett Bartick (bartick(_at_)nomurany(_dot_)com) [000112 09:38]:
I have been runnning procmail for sometime on various Sun Solaris 2.X
machines. I never had the need to run procmail as root before. Now, when
I try to run procmail for User root, my email is ending up in the mail
spool directory for owner "daemon". The strange thing is that I have
LOGFILE set, but nothing gets written. Any hints as to what I'm doing
wrong?

If I recall correctly, procmail refuses to run as root.  It's for your
protection, so that you cannot accidently execute something as root and
smash your system to bits...

Bzzt.  While this will probably become configurable some day, procmail
has no restriction against performing deliveries to uid 0.

As for why delivery is going to the mailbox of user daemon, I would
guess this is a problem with your MTA configuration.  For example,
if you use sendmail with procmail as the local delivery agent and the
"Mlocal" line doesn't include the 'S' flag under the F= directive then
you can have these sorts of problems.  Making procmail setuid root *might*
solve this, depending on what's going on in the MTA.

Philip Guenther