Re: Forwarding from multiple accounts

2000-01-17 01:56:43

Hi,

My previous ISP had this recipe for forwarding
virtual email aliases to real email accounts.
 However, lately I've been reading in the manuals
and on this mailing list that it's a "losing battle"....

Here is their recipe:
The only problem I had with it was with mailing lists,
when the recipient email is somehwere in a "for
alias(_at_)thisdomain(_dot_)com".
Of course it didn't catch those because the recipes don't
use the built in ^TO_ or ^TO (would those catch a 'for' ?).

Anyway, here is their recipe... with the ISP annotations.
I would appreciate if someone could evaluate this 'solution'
and point out what could be wrong.

# Okay, this is the last example. It is somewhat involved, and is only
# necessary if you wish to have a bullet-proof configuration that will
# handle both Carbon-Copy (Cc:) and multiple receipients on the "To:" line
# within the very same email. This is what virtual domain users
# might want to use.

#:0 c
#*  ^To(_dot_)*support(_at_)virtual(_dot_)com
#! tgjohnj(_at_)aloha(_dot_)com

#:0 c
#*  ^Cc(_dot_)*support(_at_)virtual(_dot_)com
#! tgjohnj(_at_)aloha(_dot_)com

# These first 2 recipies send A COPY of mail addressed to
# "support(_at_)virtual(_dot_)com", over to tgjohn(_at_)aloha(_dot_)com(_dot_)
We'll see why in a
# minute. The first one covers the TO: line, the second covers
# the CC: line.

#:0 c
#*  ^To(_dot_)*manager(_at_)virtual(_dot_)com
#! billy(_at_)aol(_dot_)com

#:0 c
#*  ^Cc(_dot_)*manager(_at_)virtual(_dot_)com
#! billy(_at_)aol(_dot_)com

# These next 2 recipies send A COPY of mail addressed to
# "manager(_at_)virtual(_dot_)com", over to billy(_at_)aol(_dot_)com(_dot_) The
reason we
# mail copies instead of the original is this: what happens if
# the TO: line says "To:support(_at_)virtual(_dot_)com,
manager(_at_)virtual(_dot_)com"?
# you guessed it, it only goes to support. why? because procmail
# processes this file IN THE ORDER THEY APPEAR. It never gets to
# the manager(_at_)virtual(_dot_)com recipies because it already quit after
# the first recipie. So, by sending a copy to each person, we
# guarantee that every recipient has a chance to get the mail.

#:0:
#*  ^To(_dot_)*(_at_)virtual(_dot_)com
#/dev/null

#:0: