Re: Using Procmail on a Relay

2000-01-19 05:24:50

Jason Cook <jasonc(_at_)dsgtech(_dot_)com> writes:
Is it possible to use procmail on a mail relay.  I'm currently using exim
on
the mail relay.  I would do this on the main mail server, but as its
running
exchange, this isn't possible.  Any suggestions or pointers will be
greatly
appreciated.

& Philip said:
If you can configure exim to pass all messages through a given program,
passing the envelope sender and recipient(s) as arguments and can come
up with a way to recognize which messages have already been filtered,
then it should be doable.  When this is done with sendmail, the process
is something like:

Yes, you can configure exim this way.

For exim 3.x, define a transport for procmail something like this:

procmail_pipe:
        driver = pipe
        command = "/usr/local/bin/procmail -t -m
VIPUSER=${local_part}(_at_)${domain} /usr/local
/etc/vip_procmailrc"

        from_hack
        user = mlbox

..obviously with your own procmail paths & user.

and, if you want it to deal with ALL local mail, add a new director just
after the system_aliases director like this:

procmail:
        driver = smartuser
        transport = procmail_pipe

One thing to remember is that if your relay re-writes the address and sends
the mail on, it ends up dealing with TWICE the amount of mail it was before.

If all you want to do is re-write addresses, consider using exim's built-in
filter language, which is pretty powerful. You should also consider dumping
Exchange, IMHO :-)

Cheers

John