getting procmail working (was Re: Auto Responder)

2000-02-02 07:50:51
2000-02-02-09:33:00 Michael DeMutis:
I have installed a *FRESH* FreeBSD System, and the latest port of
procmail.

I cannot seem to get an autoresponder working.

I've set procmail up as my local mailer as well..

I recommend partitioning this problem.

Make sure your .procmailrc starts with:

        LOGFILE=$HOME/.procmail-log
        VERBOSE=on

and touch .procmail-log. Send yourself a message and see if any
nattering shows up in .procmail-log. If so, then procmail is
definitely getting run, and the messages that go into .procmail-log
may help you diagnose the problem; if not, then you need to get
procmail getting invoked before anything else. Check the system
maillog and see if it says what program the MTA is running for local
delivery. Try creating a $HOME/.forward that reads "|procmail". Try
tightening perms: "chmod go-rwx $HOME $HOME/.procmailrc
$HOME/.forward" and see if that makes things go.

Once you've got procmail definitely getting invoked, and verbose
logging, if you still can't figure out what's going on, try zeroing
out the logfile, sending one test message intended to provoke your
autoresponder, then sending this list a note with the full
procmailrc, the test message, and the log.

-Bennett