Re: Lock Files

2000-02-13 09:45:11
On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Sam Morris wrote:

sm> Hello
sm>
sm> Can you tell me the name and location of the lock file that is created when
sm> a user accesses their mailbox?  I'm finding that sometimes the file doesn't
sm> get deleted and then the user cannot access their mailbox.
sm>

  That depends on how the lock is created. If you don't sepcify the name
to use for a lock file, then it will be created using the name of the
mailfolder with .lock appended to the end. But all locks should appear in
the same location as the mailfolder the message is being placed in as
long as the MAILDIR variable hasn't changed during the parsing of
that particular message. For example, the following:

    :0:
    * Subject:.*
    Inbox

so if the MAILDIR variable is called out in your procmailrc file like the
following:

   MAILDIR=$HOME/mail

then it would create a Inbox.lock file like this:

   $MAILDIR/Inbox.lock

  If you name the lock as in the following:

    :0: Blah
    Inbox

then a lock file called blah.lock would be created in the MAILDIR location
instead.

  Someone be sure to slap me if I messed this up in any way :) at least
thats the way I understood it from the procmailrc(5) man page.

sm> Thanks
sm> Sam Morris
sm>
sm> Sam Morris
sm> Loganet Internet Service
sm> Logan, Iowa, USA
sm> http://www.loganet.net
sm> 712-644-3578
sm>
sm>
sm>

--
        S.Toms - tomas(_at_)primenet(_dot_)com - www.primenet.com/~tomas
                   SuSE Linux v6.3+ - Kernel 2.2.14

There is no substitute for good manners, except, perhaps, fast
reflexes.