Re: spotting empty continuation lines

2000-02-25 20:02:36
On 25 February 2000, David W. Tamkin <dattier(_at_)mcs(_dot_)net> wrote:
Liviu Daia wrote,

|     AFAICT, Procmail unfolds the continuation lines (presumably
| because the break points don't have any semantic relevance),

Yes, exactly.

| so the best you can do without calling an external program is find
| out if there are trailing blanks.

Trailing blanks are no indication.  Consider these two examples of
headers:

Fieldname: text<trailing blank>

and

Fieldname: text
<indentation>
<indentation>text

The former has trailing whitespace but no blank continuation line;
the latter has a blank continuation line but, at least by procmail's
internal egrep's opinion, no trailing whitespace.

    Yes, that was my point too.  You can only detect it at the end of
the logical line.

    On an unrelated topic, my reading of RFC 822 is that this brain
damage is still a valid header.

    Regards,

    Liviu Daia

--
Dr. Liviu Daia               e-mail:   Liviu(_dot_)Daia(_at_)imar(_dot_)ro
Institute of Mathematics     web page: http://www.imar.ro/~daia