Re: Procmail & BOGUS

2000-03-21 04:08:54
At 17:23 +0100 20 Mar 2000, shanti
<shanti(_at_)babylon(_dot_)chapterhouze(_dot_)dhs(_dot_)org> wrote:
i like to share my spool box via nfs , where fetchmail and sendmail are
feeding the spool-box.. so the link count on mail mailbox is 2 and when

Why do you need multiple links to do this?

procmail wants to write new data to
spoolbox .. it renames my box into a BOGUS.??? . but what is a good
unix-enviroment without funktional (sym)links.

i cant figure out that this is a security feature .. more a bug .. what
sense does this make ??

It's not exactly a security feature, but a safety feature to ensure the
mailbox can be locked reliably.  Many environments need to use lock
files to prevent concurrent writes to a file.  Having multiple names for
a file makes using a lock file impossible since different programs might
use different names to access the file, therefore they would be using a
different name for the lock file rendering the lock useless.  It's
possible to do do it for symlinks, but I wouldn't count on all programs
doing it correctly.

can u plaese give me advise how to stop procmail from randomly renaming my
mailbox so i can finally use it in my network ..

Decide on one name for your mailbox just use that one.  You can set
procmail's DEFAULT variable to have mail delivered to an alternate
mailbox, and most MUAs will honor the MAIL environment variable.

--
Aaron Schrab     aaron(_at_)schrab(_dot_)com      http://www.execpc.com/~aarons/
 Real programmers can write assembly code in any language.   :-)