Re: How to ignore User Unknown? <Procmail Newbie>

2000-03-27 09:54:29
dward(_at_)ns(_dot_)pla(_dot_)net(_dot_)au writes:
I'm using Sendmail 8.10.0 with LDAP Mail Routing to eliminate the need for
creating users on heaps of mail servers.....

The problem I have is while i have convinced Sendmail to ignore whether
the local user exists but only if the directory says it should go there I
cannot find a way to make procmail ignore the fact that the user doesn't
exist in /etc/passwd....

How can I disable this behaviour I can't find it in the procmail and
procmailrc man pages...

In order to operate, procmail needs several pieces of information about
a mail receipient.

What UID to run as when delivering for the user
What the correct initial values are for the following variables
     LOGNAME HOME SHELL ORGMAIL DEFAULT
Where the user's .procmailrc file is located

It also needs to be able to go from a UID to a username (to verify that
the invoking user is allowed to change the "From " line).

With the exception of the rcfile location, procmail's internal needs for
these data are run through an API found in src/authenticate.h.  The
default implmentation of this API, found in src/authenticate.c, does
passwd file lookups for it all.  The rcfile location is assumed to be
expressable as a constant string upon which variable expansion is
performed, typically "$HOME/.procmailrc".

So, if you don't what to create user's for all the mail recipients,
you'll have to implement your own authenticate.c file which gets the
needed information from somewhere else.  That's all it takes.

Philip Guenther