Re: Stop Fetchmail Stripping Off the Header???

2000-03-27 09:50:13
2000-03-27-11:34:01 Philip Guenther:
Fetchmail isn't stripping the "From " line -- it never sees it.
The POP and IMAP protocols transfer messages in rfc822 format
which does not include the "From " line: it's a mailbox format
detail, not part of the message itself.

Ayup. What's more, if you save your messages in Maildir format, this
is preferred behavior; Maildir messages shouldn't have "From " lines
on them.

Also, if I could get it working the proper way, without the mda
parameter on fetchmail, so Sendmail sends it to Procmail wil this
solve the problem???  Any ideas why procmail isn't being started
when I do it this way???  (The MLocal thingy in sendmail.cf is
set to procmail!)

This isn't really a problem. Either save in a format that doesn't
require "From " lines, or else explicitly add them:

        :0 fwh
        |formail

That doesn't hurt, not a bit.

Also, the specific answer to your question, if you in fact get
sendmail to filter the email before passing it in to procmail, it
may or may not add a "From " line, depending on configuration
details. But it'll be _way_ more expensive than a trip through
formail, as above.

-Bennett