Re: Stop Fetchmail Stripping Off the Header???

2000-03-27 09:39:02
"Ian Chilton" <ian(_at_)ichilton(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> writes:
If the message doesn't have that "From " (Explicitly, "From<space>")
header, then elm will complain about a corrupt mailbox.  I suspect
that whatever you are using to pull those messages from your ISP is
stripping that header off for some reason -- procmail won't remove it,
but it won't (by default) create it either.
[snip]
  procmail -f username(_at_)ISP
to instruct procmail to add a "From " header.

I am receiving mail using fetchmail with the mda "/usr/bin/procmail"
parameter, as Bennett Todd instructed.
Is there any way to stop Fetchmail stripping off this header, then I will
not have to get Procmail to put one back on>>>
correct?   can this be done?

Fetchmail isn't stripping the "From " line -- it never sees it.  The POP
and IMAP protocols transfer messages in rfc822 format which does not
include the "From " line: it's a mailbox format detail, not part of the
message itself.

Also, if I could get it working the proper way, without the mda parameter on
fetchmail, so Sendmail sends it to Procmail wil this solve the problem???
Any ideas why procmail isn't being started when I do it this way???
(The MLocal thingy in sendmail.cf is set to procmail!)

Have you checked the maillog?  If so, what does it say when you try to
send a message to a local user?  Did you have to edit the
/etc/sendmail.cf?  If so, did you remember to restart sendmail or
reboot?  If you edited the /etc/sendmail.cf file yourself (bad bad!)
instead of using the sendmail.mc M4 configuration generator (good good!)
then what is the *exact* text of the local mailer definition and what
was the original definition?

All e-mail is forwarded to my mobile phone.
(Unless it includes an attachment)

However, I only receive the first 150 characters.
Please structure your message accordingly.

Is there some way besides adding an attachment to prevent this?  On some
messages, like this one, having it go to your mobile phone is pointless,
so I as the sender would like to disabled that.  I've added a bogus
empty attachment, but perhaps there's some other way?

Philip Guenther
#