Re: Stop Fetchmail Stripping Off the Header???

2000-03-27 12:48:40
"Ian Chilton" <ian(_at_)ichilton(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> writes:
If the message doesn't have that "From " (Explicitly, "From<space>")
header, then elm will complain about a corrupt mailbox.  I suspect
that whatever you are using to pull those messages from your ISP is
stripping that header off for some reason -- procmail won't remove it,
but it won't (by default) create it either.

I don't understand this....
I used to use fetchpop to get my mail, and use the -p switch, so it passed
mail straight to Procmail...

Either
a) fetchpop created a "From " line itself, or
b) fetchpop invoked procmail with the -f flag, the -d flag, or both.

Now, when I do this with fetchmail, using the mda switch, the windows pc's
and mail on linux is ignoring any mail (even though there are messages in
the file), and elm is complaining of a corrupt mailbox.

I am now confused as what to do...I want to collect using fetchmail, filter
using procmail and collect from windows via pop3d.
So, what is the best way to do this??? Am I missing something?

If I am already doing it right, how do I get round this problem??
Do I:
* invoke procmail with the -f user(_at_)isp
* add  this   :0 fwh
              |formail
 to the procmail recipie

Which is best, or is there a better way????

If you don't feel like or cannot fix your sendmail configuration, then
tell fetchmail to invoke procmail with the -d flag and your username, ala:

        procmail -d %T

as documented under the "--mda" option on the fetchmail manpage... you
_did_ read the manpage, right???  You should also make sure you're using
a relatively current version.

(There must be loads of people here, collecting via POP3 and filtering for
the network!!!...please tell me how you do it!!)

I would guess that most of them having correctly working MTAs on their
local machines.

Philip Guenther