Re: Reprocessing mail files

2000-04-22 10:21:28
Ralph Sobek wrote,

| Normally, I just let procmail use my $HOME/.procmailrc, but
| these days, with my anti-spam filtering, it is just too costly to
| reprocess a mail file.

Here's a suggestion: since mail you are reprocessing doesn't need to be
checked for spam, put a pair of braces around all your spam-checking
recipes like this:

  :0
  * legit ?? yes
  {
    # all spam checking code goes here
  }

and use

  formail -s procmail legit=yes < mailfile

| Question 2: Does formail -s pass *all* headers?

Yes, unless you had -I options to formail.  If some headers are not coming
through, the program that formail -s calls must be removing them.

| Question 3: Can output be forced to go back to that newer version of
| $file?

OK ...

  formail -s procmail legit=yes DEFAULT=newfilename < mailfile

Of course, if your .procmailrc says to deliver them places other than
$DEFAULT, or to deliver copies to other folders or pipes or addresses,
the recipes will have to be changed.  But that command line will direct
all deliveries that go to $DEFAULT.