Reprocessing mail files

2000-04-21 08:51:25
Hi folks,

        I use procmailfile, a simple script that does:

        formail -f -s procmail $* < $file

Qeustion:  Is it possible to pass a mail file through a particular
filter, and have the resulting output just go to a newer version of
$file ?  Normally, I just let procmail use my $HOME/.procmailrc, but
these days, with my anti-spam filtering, it is just too costly to
reprocess a mail file.

Question 2: Does formail -s pass *all* headers? I use emacs VM for my
mail, and when I reprocess it with procmail, it seems to lose certain
VM information which is normally kept in the X-VM-v5-Data: header.
All messages then look as if new!

Question 3: Can output be forced to go back to that newer version of
$file?  Yesterday, when I reprocessed a mail file, which contained
outgoing e-mail of mine, it just resent them (which I did not want!).
So if the procmail script even does a call to formail, the resulting
output should only go to the newer file.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Happy upcoming Easter Holiday to those that celebrate it,

        --Ralph

Dr. Ralph P. Sobek                Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
Ralph(_dot_)Sobek(_at_)irit(_dot_)fr
sobek(_at_)irit(_dot_)fr
http://beeline.to/genealogy/
Ph:(+33)[0]561558618   FAX:(+33)[0]561556258   http://www.irit.fr/~Ralph.Sobek/
Estimates are that one-third to two-thirds of animal and plant species will
disappear in forseeable future!  AWFUL!