auto-reply safeguards

2000-04-24 11:54:21
I sent a message to this list a little while ago and forgot to turn off
read-receipt requests.  I do have a series of recipes in place to
store read receipts before they would reach my auto-reply setup.
However, three receipts with new-to-me permutations of headers have
so far slipped through (and been auto-acked for having sent a
read-receipt, which is, I confess, ugly).

I will revise my recipes.  But I was rather miffed to find that
one mailer that supplies the identifying X-header

as the only distinguishing characteristic about it that I can see,
does not say anyting like "((Read|Receipt):|Notification for) "
in the Subject:-line, but just says the standard "RE: [old subject]"!

I find this pretty lame.  Am I supposed to grep all body text now for
read receipts?  Obviously, I'll put in there the X-Lotus header,
but I'd like to know if this is SOP for Lotus Notes, or a bad
configuration, or what?  Two have come in so far like this.

I find it just as bad as Microsoft list-mail that doesn't say "list"
anywhere in the headers.

--