SpamDunk Project spam filter update May 7, 2000

2000-05-18 07:32:08
  Yes, it's a few days behind schedule<g>.  The SpamDunk Project is my
little contribution to the fight against spam.  It's a series of
procmail filter recipes to catch spam.  It assumes that your ISP uses
either sendmail or Exim as their MTA (Mail Transfer Agent) program.

  Reasons for update...
  - tweaks to prevent false positives when applying stricter checking of
email allegedly from Juno and Hotmail.
  - the filters have been generalized to handle users who have virtual
domains and/or email forwarding.  The major push for that is because I'm
now in that situation, and had to develop it for my own use anyways.
  - attempts to de-fang incoming HTML email by changing the string
"text/html" to "text/plain"
  - filter for obvious spamsigns (X-Mailer: Diffondicool, the Senator
Murkowski "memorial chant" 301/1618)
  - my standalone high-bit-character filter, which traps BIG-5 (Chinese)
and Cyrillic (Russian, etc) characterset email, has been rolled into the
main filters.  ***WARNING*** in order to match high-bit characters
(CHR(160) through CHR(255)) the file NOTLIST.TXT (uploaded as isnotlist)
must contain the high-bit characters themselves.  If you attempt to edit
it, use an editor that handles these characters properly.  Most Windows
editors don't.  I suggest opening a DOS session, and using EDIT.COM in
Windows.  Check your unix editor; I find that vim works OK unless I
force it into strictly "native mode".

  The old Interlog.com address works for now, but no guarantees for the
future.  The point behind getting my own domain is to have a permanent
fixed URL.  The official URL is http://www.waltdnes.org

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
SpamDunk Project procmail spamfilter at http://www.waltdnes.org