formail -D not ignoring leading whitespace

2000-05-18 07:32:18
Version
     procmail v3.10 1994/10/31
     formail ??? (formail file date 4/98)

Problem:
I have the standard procmail rule set up to filter duplicate emails using "formail -D".

Some mail lists I subscribe to insert a whitespace after the colon of the "Message-ID:" field. Thus what was "Message-ID: " becomes "Message-ID: ".

When people send email to these lists and copy me (or vice versa), I get duplicates. In searching through the msgid.cache file, I notice that the same message-id occurs twice in the msgid.cache file: One entry has one leading whitespace, the other has two leading whitespaces.

I figure I can fix this by adding a rule at the top of rc.maillists that matches Message-ID's with two whitespaces and replaces it with one whitespace. However, it seems that formail should know to ignore leading whitespaces when comparing Message-IDs.

Has this been fixed in a recent version of formail? I think that munging Message-IDs like this by a mail server is stupid, technically the Message-ID is still formatted correctly and lexically they are still equivalent.

Thanks,
Chip

Chip Sharp                 CTO Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems
Reality - Love it or Leave it.
http://www.netaid.org