Re: mailbox lock problem with mailtool

2000-06-23 00:43:16
Marshal Benton writes:
Has anyone seen a mailbox locking problem
when using procmail in conjunction with
the Sun mailtool on solaris 2.5 and 2.6 over nfs?

I have a network of 1200 individuals and when I
enable procmail as Mlocal in sendmail, 10 individuals
have problems getting mail delivered.  The procmail
delivery process hangs around for ever (never dies).
After several hours, the number of processes build
to a large number and the CPU utilization goes to 25.
Everything works fine when I switch the delivery agent
back to /bin/mail.

The procmail log file indicates:
procmail: Forcing lock on "user.locl"
procmail: Forced unlock denied on "user.lock"

All individuals use the mailtool.

Any fixes? I did not see any bug reports.

 The postfix config files have the following note:

# The sun_mailtool_compatibility parameter disables kernel file locks
# on mailboxes. This is needed on SUN workstations because the mailtool
# program keeps an exclusive kernel lock while its window is open.
# SUN software uses user.lock files only. Unless you remove all SUN
# mail software, kernel locks just give a false sense of security.
#
#sun_mailtool_compatibility = yes

 The corresponding code is in global/deliver_flock.c, if someone
 wants to look at it.