Re: mailbox lock problem with mailtool

2000-06-23 08:56:24
Marshal Benton <post_bote(_at_)post(_dot_)com> writes:
Has anyone seen a mailbox locking problem
when using procmail in conjunction with
the Sun mailtool on solaris 2.5 and 2.6 over nfs?

<sigh>

To quote the FAQ that comes with the procmail source:

16. My mailtool sometimes reports that it is confused about the state of
    the mailbox, or I get "Couldn't unlock" errors from procmail now and then,
    or sometimes it simply seems to hang just when new mail arrives.

        This is a known bug in the OpenLook mailtool.  It holds on to
        the kernel lock on the mail-spoolfile most of the time as a
        signal to other mailtool processes.  With newer versions of
        mailtool, enabling the "Use network aware mail file locking"
        configuration option may solve the problem, though this option
        isn't always available.  If that doesn't work then recompile
        procmail with both the fcntl() and lockf() locking method
        disabled (see config.h).

Philip Guenther