Re: procmail, qmail, maildirs etc

2000-06-28 12:41:26
Ian Morrison <ian(_at_)darq(_dot_)net> writes:
On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 08:51:23AM -0500, Mike Horwath wrote:

You need to step up into the 3.15 series of procmail and it will work
for you.

Out of curiosity, why would the new version fix the problems I'm
having? I've checked out the new tarball, and it looks exactly the
same.  The  HISTORY file has no mention of maildirs, either. What

Huh?  To quote the current 3.15 HISTORY file:

2000/06/20: v3.15pre
            Changes to procmail:
               - Rewrite folder type parsing: corrects handling of MH and
                 maildir style spools
            Removed ':' and '@' from list of characters that can appear in
               tempfile names

Those both affect maildir folder handling.

exactly is the problem that I'm having? Have I not read the manual

Version 3.14 didn't handle maildir-style mailspools correctly.  In
particular, it won't create them correctly if they didn't already exist,
it would create a bogusly named directory, and if I remember correctly,
it didn't check them completely for proper permissions.

correctly or something? I'm finding much conflicting information when I
search the web for help with this - there is a lot of out of date stuff
suggesting I patch procmail.

All the patches I've seen simply teach procmail how to write to maildir
folders, but not how to use a maildir folder as the default mailspool.
Those are all obsoleted by version 3.14.

Am I doing something stupid, or is getting procmail working with qmail
just badly documented?

Yes.

Philip Guenther