Re: test for mailing lists

2000-06-29 22:46:11
2000-06-29-10:15:29 Jan(_dot_)Niggemann(_at_)swl(_dot_)fh-heilbronn(_dot_)de:
how do you test if mail is from a mailing-list? Please tell me
the header fields that indicate that mail was not sent from an
individual, but from a mailing list. Are there standards?

Mailing lists can be simply users' email aliases in their mail
client programs, they can be any of approximately a zillion little
homebrew hacks, or any of a large number of more widely-used mailing
list managers. As far as I know, no two mailing list managers that
have ever been written, implement compatible ways of recognizing
that the traffic belongs to a mailing list (Ok, that's a slight
exhaggeration, but the situation really is bad).

I've evolved a set of rules intended to try and recognize
mailing list traffic in my vacation .procmailrc, available from
<URL:http://people.oven.com/bet/vacation/>.

-Bennett