Delivery

2000-07-06 05:22:35
Dear people,

Perhaps any of you can wisen me up a bit about the delivery scheme used by
procmail. My .procmailrc starts as follows:

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/contrib/bin
MAILDIR=/usr/bin/procmail/bin
VERBOSE=yes
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/log
LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail
LOGABSTRACT=yes
SENDMAIL=/bin/sendmail

:0 c
$MAILDIR/allmail

When I send mail to a person, invoking procmail via a .forward file, a funny
thing happens; mail for which no recipe is specified, gets stored in
$MAILDIR/allmail, but also in /dead.letter. The log says:

procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/bin/sendmail @asarian-host"

My question now is twofold:

1): What is the function of storing mail in $MAILDIR/allmail? I much rather
have it appended to a valid mailbox, such as:

/usr/mail/admin

2): Why the dead.letter when it is already being stored in $MAILDIR/allmail?
And how do I prevent the dead.letter from happening?

Much obliged,

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org