Re: Fw: Subscribe from procmail-list due to sending "LOVE-You"-Virus

2000-07-06 05:38:33
Josef Koenig:
Hallo  Ruud ,
There were two, who discovered the mail with following characteristics:

Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 16:02:07 +0200
From: "Ruud H.G. van Tol" <rvtol(_at_)isolution(_dot_)nl>
Subject: 'funny' OE-sig
To: "[procmail]" <procmail(_at_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de>

It seems to come from your email-account, or...?

I saw you contacted already postmaster91(_at_)sas(_dot_)com, who found by his
virus-scan-programm, that your attachment file was :
LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.vbs

I sent a text-only-mail with a special sig to the list:

$begin  LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs
$I'm a signature virus. Copy me!
$end

It was meant as an example of a false negative.

When someone's virus-filter wouldn't have caught it,
and it would have been a nasty script,
it could have done much harm,
because Outlook Express treats the sig as an attachment,
even if there is no MIME-part-meta-info about it.

--Ruud